1. Educational Objectives
The Major of Painting concentrates on mastering various materials and techniques of eastern and western painting, including engraving and photography, image and installation and media art. We offer intensive theory classes in oriental and occidental painting allowing for a thorough understanding of significant historical and contemporary art practices. Our program centers on the individual creative development of each student in preparation for taking on a leading role in contemporary art practice.
2. Great Facilities
Our facilities encompass spacious painting studios, high-end Transart studios, equipment loan center, photographic studio, black-and-white photography dark room, digital and analog print workshops, computer lab, 2D/3D multimedia lab, clay modeling workshop, stone sculpture workshop, metal and wood workshops.
The Chunma Art Center Gallery at Yeungnam University provides a Museum level exhibition space and our campus features a world class central library with an outstanding selection of Art books and periodicals.
3. Specialized Curriculum
General foundation education, multi-disciplinary curriculum across different subjects, media and techniques, practical centered creative workshop, studio class with each professor. Our faculty consists of a diverse team of professors and lecturers with international experience and complementing fields of expertise, educated in Korea, Japan, America and Europe.
Kim, Hee Soo,Professor
- Kunstakademie Duesseldorf~, Hochschule fuer Bildenden Kunste Painting
Song Hai Young,Professor
- Univ. Regensburg Art History
- Waseda Univ. Art History
- Yeungnam Univ. Painting
- Seoul National Univ. Korean Painting
CHOO, JONG-WAN,Associate Professor
SHIN, SEUNG JAE,Assistant Professor
- Fine Art Painting
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of Painting
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- AN APPROACH TO THE KOREAN ART
- This course aims to understand the characteristics and identity of Korean beauty by investigating the history of Korean traditional painting, calligraphy, sculpture, architecture, crafts and ornaments.
- CONVERGENCE- AND INTEGRATION-BASED THINKING AND WRITING
- The ability of analyzing and solving problems is emphasized as one of the conditions for survival in the 21st century and one of the core elements of creative capabilities. This course was designed to cultivate convergence- and integration-based creative capabilities, which are integrated problem-solving capabilities to collect, analyze and process knowledge and information by reinforcing the ability of analyzing and solving problems, recreate it in a synthetic fashion, and express it effectively through speech and writing. The course will help the students cultivate their synesthesia thinking and communication skills based on sympathy with other human beings, understanding of the community, and positivity or Gongseong that is sought after by Yeungnam University. Its ultimate goals are to promote the students' creative knowledge development and reinforce their writing capabilities consistently through "convergence- and integration-based thinking and writing as a problem-solving approach."
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- BASIC 2D GRAPHIC(1)
- Manipulation techniques on digital image are essential skills for any contemporary art practice. This class covers contemporary artworks using techniques of photo retouching and resolution enhancing as well as image stitching and composing. Not only experiencing techniques but also studying examples by contemporary artists will be discussed in detail.
- THREE DIMENSIONAL FORMATION Ⅰ
- Through the work that associated with the three-dimensional space, learning about observe and approach to things. And also, utilizing a variety of materials, discover the infinitive possibilities of expression. While solving the limited conditions and disorders of the task, develop the perception ability of three-dimensions.
- BASIC PRACTICAL TECHNIQUES I
- This class is a basic process of practice. Mastering a basic methodology of the variety media, understand a sense of body shaping. In the working process, student experience the delicate work of a heightened sense and perceive physical feature, which is the special character of genre of art.
- TWO DIMENSIONAL FORMATION I
- Learning among the basic elements of visual language that is implemented in the plane, student develop their creativity of modeling work. Experience of lines and colors, space and depth, screen and composition including a wide spectrum, student understand the objective characteristics of the modeling language.
- AN APPROACH TO THE MODERN ART
- In this course, students will appreciate and analyze the representative contemporary works of art, and will discuss the main problems of contemporary art in terms of its artistic idea, formal traits and new material or media.
- SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
- This course is to cultivate community sense as members of society and the global village for students in order to develop the basic knowledge required as global citizens. Especially, this course is to foster the spirit of cooperation, sharing, service, and creativity and study the social contribution and leadership to solving the challenges the global community faces. As a liberal arts course, it is centered to nurture a leader having the global capability to contribute to community development through learning the knowledge and the case on the value & logic of social responsibility focused on environmental preservation, social contribution, and good governance(ESG). This course aims to foster a generous mind, learn knowledge and technology and build the capacity to contribute to building a society towards a safer and happier world through the study of theory and practice.
- SOFTWARE AND AI
- Software and AI (Artificial Intelligence) course aims to educate the basic concepts of software and computational thinking to use them in various applications. It allows students of various majors to experience the core technologies of the 4th industrial revolution, such as big data, machine learning, and AI. It also introduces various applications of AI so that students can easily apply these technologies to their field of study. This course classifies the lecture types into three categories, and adjust the lecture difficulty according to the student's academic ability.
- BASIC 2D GRAPHIC(2)
- In essential quality of Specific outlook and versatile applications in print and digital display, illustrations by vector graphic are powerful and popular. In this class we develop projects together that apply vector graphics to an artwork with aesthetic and conceptual manners. Basic typesetting and desktop publishing are further subjects covered.
- THREE DIMENSIONAL FORMATION Ⅱ
- Through the work that associated with the three-dimensional space, learning about observe and approach to things. And also, utilizing a variety of materials, discover the infinitive possibilities of expression. Identify the structure of the object in different practice and exert a flexible concept for a three-dimensional representation.
- BASIC PRACTICAL TECHNIQUES II
- This class is a basic process of practice. Mastering a basic methodology of the variety media, understand a sense of body shaping. Experience relation between the technique about how to dealing with the media and aesthetic theory by the specific task. And through the act, show their creative molding ability.
- TWO DIMENSIONAL FORMATION II
- Learning among the basic elements of visual language that is implemented in the plane, student develop their creativity of work. Through the assignment, student solve the numerous condition that occur at the moment of time when imagination switch into expression behaviour, and discover themselves subjective forms of expression.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- ANIMATION ARTⅠ
- Students will acquire basic editing tools for content production by understanding the history and concepts of the animation, and studying various techniques and techniques for digital production, and produce a 2D animation works.
- CONTEMPORARY PAINTING MATERIAL TECHNIQUE Ⅰ
- This class study about various materials and technique, the characteristics of color and direction of paint, color mixing and color of contemporary art. Additionally, understand the detail of association between materials and techniques, and practice systematically the whole process of production, finish work and storage.
- DRAWING TECHNIQUE Ⅰ
- This course is to learn fundamental principle of the art and design, and seek for the artistic accomplishment by understanding drawing as the function of substructure and superstructure of the art and design activities.
- FIELD INVESTIGATION OF ARTⅠ
- Through field investigations of art works, students will be able to understand actual methods, photographs, condition checks, and other methods for creating and arranging basic materials for preservation and restoration.
- FINE ARTS TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- This curriculum aims to strengthen the capabilities of art education specialists for effective ‘learning’ of arts and culture education. To that end, it intends to prepare the specialists for obtaining actual abilities to apply the teaching and learning plan that they have written to the field of arts and culture education after identifying the conditions and process for ‘teaching’ and ‘learning’ and understanding the teaching-learning model and teaching strategies for multiple purposes.
- METHODS OF PRINTS I
- Learn about engraving; the basic principles and possible indirect representation format that can be copied. Make a wide and unconstrained expression with practice various technique such as wood board and paper board, rubber board and also silkscreen, mono print.
- OIL PAINTING TECHNIQUE I
- Learn the history and characteristic of the oil painting, the proper technique, the oil art supplies, advantages and disadvantages of the oil painting. Pull out an interest of emotional painting and art, develop the creative expression ability.
- TECHNIQUES OF SUMUKHWA (KOREAN INK PAINTING I)
- Draw a picture with Indian Ink commonly called the Sumukhhwa. After Southern Song, advent of literary painters emphasize the spiritual meaning. So understand a systematic theoretical framework and the various techniques of the Indian ink painting which had been mainstream of traditional ink painting.
- TRADITIONAL PAINTING MATERIAL TECHNIQUE Ⅰ
- Learn about characteristic and meaning of traditional painting that colored by various technique such as Sumukhwa that stay basic with paper, writing brushes and ink stick, folk painting, Buddhist paintings and Royal Society paper. Also practice how to use traditional materials and techniques.
- HISTORY OF ORIENTAL ARTS
- This class aims to study about formation and development of Eastern art. Overview painting and sculpture, architecture and crafts of China and Japan, comprehend characteristics of East Asian Art. And deepen the understanding of the nature and universality of Eastern and Western art through relations with Western art works and comparative study.
- CAREER DESIGN
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to let the students to set the career goal at the early stage of university life through systematic and continuous counselling and instruction on CRM achievement and change of career designed by the students after the admission to the university. This course is to let the students attain career management method and edit, complement and confirm the CRM in a systematic manner by self analysis and analysis of employment competence while the course is being taught. Also, this course is to utilize video lecture as the secondary teaching material to let the students have competency in employment. 2. Course objectives This course is to assist to the enrolled students in designing their own employment plan for themselves by the education of drafting application materials for employment (resume, statement of purpose and application forms), communication skills and presentation skills. Furthermore, the course ultimate goal of guiding the students to systematically design (manage) CRM at each grade of the university with the counselling by the supervising professor until the time of graduation.
- ANIMATION ARTⅡ
- Using the digital production techniques leanded in the ANIMATION ARTⅠ, experimental and creative announcement images are produced with a broader concepts.
- CONTEMPORARY PAINTING MATERIAL TECHNIQUE Ⅱ
- Establish a unique direction of work through the study of material selection, utilizing the media and expression technique. Through this activity, having a expression ability that suitable for one’s emotion and temperament. And materialized their content and direction of work.
- DRAWING TECHNIQUEⅡ
- This course aims to enhance the ability of visual expression, objectification, and objectification of internal creative desire through various training of drawing, and to lay the basis of creative work activity.
- FIELD INVESTIGATION OF ARTⅡ
- The aim of this course is to develop the ability to establish a conservation restoration project through the use of basic materials secured through field investigations of art works.
- METHODS OF PRINTS II
- In this class, student can practice various technique and feature, such as etching, dry point, aquatint and mezzotint. Especially, develop a expression ability accord with one’s intentions and tendencies. And This development can be realized with concentrate in a lithograph technique.
- OIL PAINTING TECHNIQUE II
- In this class, student learn the study systematically about the various techniques of glazing and Impasto, frottage, scumbling and scratch. Including effects of control light and shade of paint and glossy and matte. So training the aesthetic sensibility that is based on the plastic arts and develop there unique expression.
- TECHNIQUES OF SUMUKHWA (KOREAN INK PAINTING II)
- Draw a picture with Indian Ink commonly called the Sumukhhwa. After Southern Song, advent of literary painters emphasize the spiritual meaning. So comprehend a meaning of the Indian ink painting which had been mainstream of traditional ink painting and explore new creative format that meets the contemporary aesthetic.
- TRADITIONAL PAINTING MATERIAL TECHNIQUE Ⅱ
- Learn about characteristic and meaning of traditional painting that colored by various technique such as Indian ink paintings that stay basic with paper, writing brushes and ink stick, folk painting, Buddhist paintings and Royal Society paper. With practicing how to use traditional materials and techniques, make a basic expression ability.
- HISTORY OF WESTERN ARTS
- This class aims to flow of Western art, ranging from prehistory to the mid-19th century. Analyze contents and forms, focusing on sculpture, architecture and painting of all ages. And study about how politic, religion, science and philosophy are reflected in formativeness of art work.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- CREATIVE WORKSHOPI
- This class will invite specialists such as curator and art critic who are actively work in art field. Through announcement of work and analysis, free discussion and critique, establish objective perspective of whole process.
- DRAWING I
- Identify the correct concept of drawing and study the various materials of pencil and charcoal, pastels and crayons. Among practicing the basic principles and process of drawing repeatedly, awaken correct perception of the body and body act which essentially required to creative process.
- LOGIC AND STATEMENTS OF FINE ARTS
- This course researches on a logical mind, analysis and description of work, and systematic sentence for work analysis. Especially, through seeing the work creatively with combination and analysis, combining and dismantling, imagination and transformation, solve the functions of a visual free reading.
- MEDIA AND INSTALLATION ART Ⅰ
- Learn the theory of media and installation and the fundamental operation concept and explore the possibilities of expression areas
- PAINTING OF CALLIGRAPHIC SCHOOL I
- Literary painting called Namjongwha or Namwah, have emerged and developed focusing on the literati ( writer and nobleman) after southern Song dynasty. Along with learning Chinese ink landscape painting, this class aims to deal with Sagunja consisting of plum, orchid, chrysanthemum, and bamboo that represent the way of life and thought in the literati. And the class also has a goal to understand theoretical structure of Literary painting in spiritual way and practise various techniques of it.
- PAINTING REPLICATE L
- We will study the theory and techniques of art replicated, and its utilization.
- PHOTOGRAPHY III
- Understanding the nature and role of photo, and ensure the meaning of cameramen and photographer. Also analyze the various photo work of national photographer. Based on this activity, complete the photo work with one’s own story, and check the direction with presentation and discussion.
- STUDIES OF MEDIUM AND TECHNOLOGYⅠ
- Having a wide range of experience and understanding by using the theory and practicalities of various materials and methods, to establish a framework for creative self expression, to cultivate sensory ability through improvement of expressive power and creative modeling experience.
- THEORIES OF CONTEMPORARY FINE ARTS
- This class aims to learn flow of the 20th century Western art and analyzes the major work in content and formal aspects. It also examines the various theories and lessons, look at the differences and characteristics of modernism and post-modernism
- THEORIES OF KOREAN MODERN & COMTEMPORARY ARTS
- This class analysis about phenomenon, performance and problem that comes out in the development process of the Korean Arts ranging from introductory period of Western art to the current. Examine process of Korean modern art(Until the end of the 19th century, Korean modern art have strong relationship with China.) that develop with western and Japan’s art. Also study about switch to contemporary art and current art trends, challenges of the future.
- KOREA PAINTING STUDIOⅠ
- Identify the various characteristics and techniques of painting, also develop their abilities and talents based on creative thinking of molding. This is the core curriculum of the major paintings, and taught in a one-to-one approach between professor and students from the studio.
- PAINTING STUDIO Ⅰ
- Doing various tests for work’s direction, material and technique with professor. This is the core curriculum of the major paintings, and taught in a one-to-one approach between professor and students from the studio.
- A HISTORY OF KOREAN FINE ARTS
- In-depth look at the work of the Representative Korean art, and discover characteristics of the relationship between foreign art. Identified key point of history of Korean art ranging from the Three Kingdoms period to Joseon Dynasty, through the artwork appreciation and debate. And deepen their understanding, presents a new discourse.
- CREATIVE WORKSHOPII
- This class aims to concentrate in portfolio and presentation that is necessary to enter the art world after graduation. Make a rich and dense portfolio about their world of art works. Also practicing a clear and effective presentation.
- CURRENT ISSUES IN CONTEMPORARY ART
- This class examines the overall flow of contemporary art and analyzes the major work in content and formal aspects. It also look at the main issues discussed in the discourse of contemporary art and important exhibitions for the purpose of a balanced perspective on art in general.
- DRAWING RESEARCH Ⅱ
- This class observe the details with Contour skill. And training the eyes that determines the total through gesture drawing. Practicing repeatedly drawings associated with observation and intuition, find out the suitable individual expression.
- KOREA PAINTING STUDIO Ⅱ
- With creative modeling ability, understanding contemporary modeling idea and having a self expression outcome. This is the core curriculum of the major paintings, and taught in a one-to-one approach between professor and students from the studio.
- MEDIA AND INSTALLATION ART Ⅱ
- Understand the basic concepts and theoretical foundations of the installation and acquire basic experience. We try to make actual production and production in specific situations and spaces by grasping various materials and various conditions of installation and operation with media and installation.
- PAINTING OF CALLIGRAPHIC SCHOOL II
- Literary painting called Namjongwha or Namwah, have emerged and developed focusing on the literati ( writer and nobleman) after southern Song dynasty. Along with learning Chinese ink landscape painting, this class aims to deal with Sagunja consisting of plum, orchid, chrysanthemum, and bamboo that represent the way of life and thought in the literati. And the class also has a goal to understand theoretical structure of Literary painting in spiritual way and find new way of makings measuring up to sense of contemporary art.
- PAINTING STUDIO Ⅱ
- Make a certain direction and content of one’s work based on understand of various expression method. This is the core curriculum of the major paintings, and taught in a one-to-one approach between professor and students from the studio.
- PHOTOGRAPHY IV
- These days, high technology has been developed. So in this point, studying about how to use photograph practically in some contexts. Find the meaning with enjoy and discuss of photo works. And through this activity, make a direction of one’s work.
- PRACTICE OF PAINTING REPLICATEⅡ
- We will study the theory and techniques of art replicated, and its utilization, make works of replica.
- STUDIES OF MEDIUM AND TECHNOLOGYⅡ
- Students learn about the characteristics of various materials and how to make them, and use them to develop various aesthetic senses of contemporary art and explore methods for creative expression.
- TEACHING METHODOLOGY OF FINE ARTS
- This course aims to understand the meaning and goal of arts education, steps of arts activities advancement, analysis of arts curriculum in secondary education, methods of arts guidance and evaluation the whole arts education curriculum with its historical backgrounds.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- FIELD STUDY I
- This course is fine art practicing practical fields which are gallerly and public offices and helps to planning detailed employment preparation.
- KOREA PAINTING STUDIO Ⅲ
- With experimental outcomes of various media expression, complete a creative plastic work and make a ability that comes with contemporary aesthetic. Also student can have conversation with professor, make an idea of graduate work and concentrate on it.
- MEDIA AND INSTALLATIONⅢ
- This course is an intensive course of media and installation art (1) (2). Develop creative concept through deep media research and experimental thinking. direct time and space through media and installation art research.
- METHOD & RESEARCH OF FINE ARTS TEACHING MATERIALS
- This course aims to understand nature of art subjects, analyze components of arts textbooks, search teaching programs and method of guidance, and investigate assistant audio-visual materials.
- PAINTING STUDIO Ⅲ
- Based on one’s sprit of painting, attempts on many experimental work. And with this activity, student build up their individual direction. Also student can have conversation with professor, make an idea of graduate work and concentrate on it.
- PRACTICE OF PAINTING CONSERVATIONⅠ
- We will study theory and techniques necessary for the preservation and restoration of the painting, and practice how to use non-destructive analysis equipment.
- STUDY ON ARTIST
- Look at the major works of artists who built their own form, without being bound to one form or trend. And understand these achievements in the art historical context. With the life of the artist, identified various background of artist’s feature. After that, see how the work is reflected in the content and format of this effect.
- FIELD STUDY II
- This course is fine art practicing practical fields which are gallerly and public offices and helps to planning detailed employment preparation.
- MEDIA AND INSTALLATION IV
- This course is to understand the whole process of creating the artistic works throughout a research of the specific space (ex. graduation exhibition) and exhibition space and to study space installation work through experiment, discussion and research of the works.
- PRACTICE OF PAINTING CONSERVATIONⅡ
- We will study theory and techniques necessary for the preservation and restoration of the painting, and practice how to use non-destructive analysis equipment. gain the ability to make works of conservation.
- KOREA PAINTING STUDIO Ⅳ
- Based on expression ability of logic and understanding of contemporary plastic art, suggests the creative self-centered methodology. Completed creative graduate work through discuss with professor and prepare a graduate exhibition specifically.
- PAINTING STUDIO Ⅳ
- Make a solid character of one’s artistic way with a broad understanding of the flow of contemporary art. Completed creative graduate work through discuss with professor and prepare a graduate exhibition specifically.
Regular Middle School Teacher level 2, Culture and Arts Education level 2, Computer Graphics Designer, Web Designer
Graduate school, painter, teacher (middle school, kindergarten, academy, culture center), art director (cinema), designer (stage, advertisement), art therapist, art critic, exhibition planner, art and science researcher (museum), curator, art director (print media), culture planner.